Sunday, December 29, 2013

Keeping My Drawing Head Above Water

"I despise resistance; I will not let it faze me; I will sit down and do my work." Sommerset Maugham

Steven Pressfield in the War of Art shares a helpful notation: "Maugham reckoned that by performing the mundane act of  sitting down and starting to work, he set in motion a mysterious but infallible sequence of events that would produce inspiration, as surely as if the goddess had synchronized her watch with his."

I devoted the past three years to earning a MA in Communication and Leadership from Gonzaga University. I don't think I will ever regret the time or money invested in this educational adventure that included two trips to Europe. I also took a solo road trip to Whistler, BC--a graduation gift.

After graduation, I pursued court mediation training at UNM Law School as an excellent means of  "looking to my laurels" (as contrasted with resting on them). I continue teaching at ENMU-Ruidoso in the Art Department, but have been able to add communication courses to my schedule. I'm in the process of building an online design course for Fall 2014 Semester. I am also doing pro bono service mediation in magistrate courts in Clovis and Albuquerque. The mythical vacuum is that...a myth.

Today, I was spiffing my profile on Linked In. One of the sections asks for a website. I'd pushed this blog back on a remote burner with no place or intention in my planner. The last post was in August of this year. I'm glad to be back after many months of neglect.

I've not accomplished any major works--larger paintings or shows-- over these last few years either, but I've followed through on my determined intention to sketch daily and paint when possible. I am pleased and sane because of it. (Thank you,Danny Gregory http://dannygregory.wordpress.com/ ). I found Maugham's ideas about inspiration four years ago. So many times I've just put pen to journal; no other impulse or inspiration; doing that deed kept my drawing head above water.


No comments:

Post a Comment